[ltp] Hard drive power saving

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:23:17 -0600

> Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
>
> > give head park a shot and see if that those something for
> you... It should
> >
> >park the head and help you troubleshoot.
> >Most likely this problem is because something needs to
> access the kernel and
> >is not allowing laptop-mode to work.
> >
> >http://hdaps.sourceforge.net/head_park
> >
> >gcc-$version headpark -o headpark.ibm
> >
> > ./headpark.ibm
> >

>  ./headpark.ibm /dev/hda
> -> head parked
good

> Ok should this solve my problem ? it still does not work.
Should not, only help you troubleshoot.
> Do you know if IDLE time is software or hardware ? I mean,  is my HDD
> "forgetting" to tell to my system that it is idle since 5 seconds and
> needs a hdparm -y ?
You probably want to contact the guy that does laptop_mode, which is called
Bart Samwel <bart@samwel.tk>.
> Or is it able to decide by itself to go into standby mode when IDLE ?
> Thank you.

Things should work, check if "top" says that something is highly using the
PC or resources...
Try this in init 3? You gotta troublesoot a bit yourself.

.Alejandro