[ltp] Suspend to RAM, Kubuntu Edgy, R51

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:20:59 +0000

Hello,

My R51 running Kubuntu Dapper (6.06) used to stay suspended to RAM for 2 days
to 2.5 days. Since I upgraded to Edgy (6.10), it does not stay 1 night. I
have tried to suspend to RAM using the Kubuntu power manager applet (which
uses a HAL backend I think) or the kpowersave (using the powersaved backend)
program and get similar results (the battery drains in a matter of hours when
suspended).

I initially suspected a battery problem but altough not ingreat, ACPI reports
it as fine:

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         47520 mWh
last full capacity:      35060 mWh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          10800 mV
design capacity warning: 1753 mWh
design capacity low:     200 mWh
capacity granularity 1:  1 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  1 mWh
model number:            IBM-08K8193
serial number:             614
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                SANYO

The laptop stays warmer underneath than it used to in the past so I suspect
something is not properly suspended and draws a lot of power when suspended
to RAM.

I use the radeonfb framebuffer and my model is whitelisted (well, it was in
Dapper) for D2 state during suspend to RAM. Xorg also uses the radeon driver
with the option DynamicClocks option switched on.

If somebody knows of a fix or could recommend some debugging methodology, I
would be a taker.

Regards,

--
JP Renaud