[ltp] 64-bit Linux on core-2-duo's?

Hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:02:16 +0000

--nextPart83210190.euaysVNCzP

On Monday 27 November 2006 19:13, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 18:59 +0000, Hamish wrote:
> > >
> > > I run Debian unstable amd64 on a Core 2 Duo Intel Desktop Board
> > > machine. It seems much faster than 32-bit...especially for stuff like
> > > encoding video: I've been transcoding episodes of "Curb Your
> > > Enthusiasm" from DVDs and each 30-minute episode takes about 10 minut=
es
> > > to resize and do 2-pass XviD encoding.
> >
> > Ah bugger...
> >
> > I got my laptop, it arrived this afternoon. No-one was home when Amtrak
> > attempted to deliver at 11:32, but they tried again after 16:00, and
> > saved me having to goto Hayes tomorrow to pick it up (Which would have
> > been difficult... I forgot the car was in for a service tomorrow).
> >
> > So. I opened & started the windows just enough to say 'No I don't accept
> > your license'. Took photos etc. Now to blow it away & install something
> > decent on it.
> >
> > Booted into the BIOS menus. Disabled the trackpad (Useless thing)
> > Sadly, the debian netinst for debian.31r3.amd64 doesn't boot... It seems
> > to have problems with ACPI (Hangs after the 'ACPI: Found ECDT' message).
>
> I had a devil of a time getting Debian on this machine...just keep
> trying, I would recommend 'acpi=3Doff' for installation. I had to do a
> debootstrap from the grml live cd:

acpi=3Doff gets me further... However.

debian (i386 & amd64), neither of them can find the ethernet, or the HD...=
=20
(Neither support ACHI by the looks). And I'm too lazy to try compat in BIOS=
=20
for the disk... Mainly because the ethernet is a wee bit more important to=
=20
get working first... No net =3D=3D no install.(And pretty useless if it doe=
s=20
install).

gentoo (2006.1 amd64) finds the disk & loads the tg3 driver. I get an eth0,=
=20
but it doesn't fracking well work... Sodding thing...

ubunti 6.10 (amd64) loads. Finds the HD, configures the network (DHCP), and=
=20
net works. However the stupid thing starts going bom bom bom like a drum an=
d=20
gives me a stupid X screen with pointer & nothing else... Hey this is cool!=
=20
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE gets me a new X session, with a login... It auto logs in=
 &=20
I get a blank screen witha  white rectangle in top left corner...  (And mor=
e=20
tom tom drums. They seem to start again each time I restart X, while the ol=
d=20
one continues).

Another X restart... And I seem to get no further now...

Sodding thing... I'll try knoppix next. That worked fine on my wifes z60m.=
=20