[ltp] Fan error on T60p

Nils Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:26:40 +0200

Mihai Bazon schrieb:
> Hi folks,
Hi!

> I cleaned the fan of this device for the zillionth time and finally now
> it fails to boot.  The fan starts spinning (with a horrible noise, but
> that's the reason why I tried to clean it up anyway) and it stops after
> about 3 seconds; then I get the message "Fan error" and the machine
> shuts down after 2 seconds.  Can't tell how frustrating this is. :(
>
> Anyone knows what I might have b0rken?

Well, I do not know about the noise so I can only vaguely guess...
The fans have a sensor that outputs a pulse on every revolution. The
system controls the fan speed by a PWM (at I assume this since this is
the usual way). And it will know limits, i.e. full speed should at least
be this-and-that pulse frequency. If it does not reach that frequency
the fan is either broken or jammed -> failure.

So examine the fan closely and try to remove the noise as it will brake
the fan (slow down) to a speed which is outside the range the system
expects.

> On a related note: I'm looking to buy a new fan.  It's impossible to
> find such thing in Romania so I ordered one from an eBay seller, but it
> didn't get here yet.  Does anyone on this list have one for spare?  I
> can do PayPal.  And I need it, like, yesterday. :)

Can't help here, sorry.

> Thanks,
> -Mihai
Cheers
  nils faerber

--
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535