[ltp] Bad fan behaviour in X61s caused by GPU temperatur sensor

Thomas Kahle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:16:58 +0100

--------------enig76D75223128F698C121AA95D

Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 15:46:00 +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
>=20
> [...]
>=20
>> Did you manage to reduce the wireless temperature? I tried lowering th=
>> signal strength on the X60, but this doesn=E2=80=99t seem to affect ho=
w hot the
>> right palmrest gets. :(
>=20
> For X61 users, powermanagement for wireless LAN is a source of fun and
> joy.  The maintainers decided to not support it at all in kernel
> 2.6.31.  I was able to remove this.  However, In 2.6.32, they
> refactored all the PM code to not use a non-standard sysfs file
> (power_level) anymore, but iwconfig settings.  However, it still can't
> be enabled on IWL 4965 hardware, so I had to look into the driver
> source again so make it work.

Actually, checking on this again its true what you say :) Its really
broken (kernel 2.6.31-r6 here) although it was working fine
approximately two kernel versions ago. Fortunately its winter in
Germany. I hope you get these patches into the driver until summer :)

good luck
Thomas

>=20
> Regards,
> Tino

--=20
Thomas Kahle

The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
should software be any different?