[ltp] Thinkpad W520, nouveau and external monitors

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:34:45 +0100

Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012 schrieb Marco Vittorini Orgeas:
> On 2/17/2012 5:19 PM, Fen Labalme wrote:
> > I have a new T520 with integrated intel GPU (i7-2760) and Nvidia
> > (NVS  4200M) discrete graphics.  It comes with Windows 7 and BIOS
> > set to "Optimus" that does smart switching between the two.  I'm
> > running Ubuntu 11.10 with nouveau and have the BIOS set to
> > "Integrated" that uses only the Intel GPU (GNU/Linux does not yet
> > natively support Optimus) and am able to attach an external monitor
> > via VGA seamlessly (I use compiz and get an extended desktop - both
> > Laptop and External monitor making one large desktop).
>=20
> I've read around that while T series is designed to handle the
> external  interfaces also with the on-chip GPU, the W series intel GPU
> completely bypasses them.
> So, in order to output on something different from the laptop lcd, you=20
> need to use the Nvidia gpu.
> See my previous-es links for more info on this.

Someone with an NVidia based T520 told me that he can=B4t use the Intel=20
graphics for external outputs. Now I read from Fen that this is possible.=20
And from you again that it isn=B4t.

I am puzzled.

Well I know that my Intel only graphics T520 can do it.

=2D-=20