[ltp] Temperature increase after S2Ram

Mon, 8 Jul 2013 10:22:04 -0300

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013, Paul Bolle wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 00:07 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Jul 2013, Paul Bolle wrote:
> > > Somehow it seems powertop triggers Heisenbug behavior! If the second
> > > core is apparently stuck at 2 GHz, and I start powertop to see what's
> > > going on, the second core will again drop down to 800 MHz, eventually.
> > > But quitting powertop makes the second core jump to 2 GHz again (judging
> > > by /proc/cpuinfo's output, that is).
> > >
> > > That is strange! So let's assume for now that I see patterns that just
> > > aren't there. Ie, this needs more testing on my side.
> >
> > Nah, let's assume 3.10 is borked.  Please check whether the latest 3.9.x
> > works well for you...
>
> I hope to do so shortly.

> > >     $ sudo ./turbostat -S
> > >     No invariant TSC
> >
> > I see.  Can powertop show idle states on that box?  If it does, keep an eye
> > on them.
>
> But powertop (at least) masks the problem: while powertop is running
> CPU1 (the second core that seems to be stuck at going 2 GHz) does drop
> back to 800 MHz.
>
> Another curious thing, perhaps related: acpi_cpufreq's refcount wraps
> after offlining and onlining this core a few times:
>     $ cat /proc/modules | grep acpi_cpufreq
>     acpi_cpufreq 19612 18446744073709551609 - Live 0xffffffffa0465000 (F)
>     mperf 12607 1 acpi_cpufreq, Live 0xffffffffa0418000 (F)
>
> 18446744073709551609 equals (2 ^ 64) - 7. I guess I've offlined that
> core seven times now.

Yep, that looks like a bug alright.  Can you file it with relevant
information in bugzilla.kernel.org?  Call it "acpi_cpufreq's refcount wraps
after offlining and onlining a core a few times".

I know there are a few fixes for intel idle, acpi cpufreq, and a few others
floating around the merge window.  Right now, it is either bissect, or wait
for 3.10.1 to get the brown-paperbag fixes.

--
  Henrique Holschuh