[ltp] The fix is in -- kernel fix that is...

Dan Saint-Andre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Jul 2013 13:49:33 -0500

On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 12:01 +0200,
linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org wrote:
> Well, the culprit for my issue apparently is commit a66b2e503f
> ("cpufreq: Preserve sysfs files across suspend/resume"). A patch to
> revert that commit was late for v3.10.1, but might make it into
> v3.10.2
> (see https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/11/661 ).
>

> Paul Bolle

That is great. Now, what is are regular people supposed to do?

I get the following:
        __________________________
        prompt$  uname -a

        Linux XXXXXX 3.0.0-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP
           Tue Jun 12 17:37:42 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        __________________________

This tells me that I'm a long way from the v3.10.1 that might fix things
-- and a lot besides.

My distro has not yet made it that far with kernel updates. I'm enough
of a geek to know that any change in kernel might bring troubles to an
otherwise stable workstation. One must chase a basket full of
dependencies for each step:  v3.0, v3.1, ... v3.10. Sometimes, even
little steps cause troubles: v3.0.0, v3.0.1, ... v3.1.

To further complicate things, moving up within a family of distros, can
be an even larger basket of trouble. I run Linux Mint (derived from
Ubuntu).  They just released Mint-15. Mint-14 is several months old. I'm
still running Mint-12 because I did not want to risk the fortnight of
tinkering that usually follows the move to a distro update. (blush)
Where did all that time go between Mint-12 and today?